It’s a common problem that I am sure all bloggers encounter…………….knowing what to blog about. I along with many others often hit writers block. What shall I write about? Have I covered this before? Will people find it interesting?
Here are some tips on how to be the most organised blogger you can be whilst also having constant fresh and new ideas.
1. Get organised – having a plan will always help, as I often worry about what my next post is going to be about I plan ahead. I have a weekly planner and write on specific dates the blog post I am going to upload. It takes the pressure off if you schedule ahead with your ideas. I use a planner printed from a brilliant page called Scattered Squirrel, there are lots of different planners on the site, daily, weekly, monthly etc.
I also love this weekly planner from SkandiDesign on etsy, it has enough space on each page to add more than one item for each entry on each day (plus it looks really pretty too). This is perfect to carry around with me for when I get a sudden rush of inspiration or ideas.
2. Time management – there are many bloggers out there (me included) who don’t blog as their full-time job, we have other aspects of our life that we have to ft it around, work, college, family. So plan your time. Set a reminder or record in a diary/planner to set aside 30 minutes or an hour a day to spend time on your blog, before I did this I always felt like time was running away with me and I wasn’t achieving anything, I also write my blogs ahead of their posting date, that way I don’t feel like I am chained to the pc having to write everyday. I often write 2 or 3 blogs in one go and then schedule them in.
3. Read other blogs – now this isn’t copying, its getting inspiration. Follow lots of blogs too that are similar to yours. Not only do you get inspired but you can also make potential blogger friends, other bloggers are often happy to share ideas and experiences and maybe even mention you or link to your own blog if they feel its relevant. I follow a lot of blogs through Bloglovin’, it sends you daily updates on the latest posts by blogs you follow, kind of like all your favourite blogs in one place.
4. Enjoy blogging!! – I always say nothing is ever worth doing in life unless you really enjoy it. It should never feel like a chore, the more you enjoy something the better you will be at it. If it helps to have some nice items to use when blogging then why not stock up on some beautiful new stationery or make sure that when you sit down to blog you have your favourite snack to munch or have some music playing in the background, anything that will help you to feel relaxed and enjoy your time while you are working away.
5. Keep it seasonal – it goes without saying that you wouldn’t blog about your homemade Christmas cake in the middle of summer or do a piece on winter clothes in spring. Depending on the time of year people’s interests can be heavily influenced by the seasons. Now we are in September and the kids are back at school thoughts are turning towards halloween, bonfire night, snuggling in front of the fire, autumnal fashion and hearty food such as nourishing stews and hot cups of tea with slices of cake.
6. Keep it visual – Now as everyone knows the secret to a good blog is quality content, but I also think images make a blog. I would never want to read a blog post unless it had at least one image in it, it helps to tie it all together. If you are using images from other sites always make sure you reference them in your post and add a link from the original source of that image or get their permission to use it.
I hope you have found these tips useful, I would love to hear if you have any tips on blogging and your experiences along the way.