So I don’t know if anyone else agrees with me but January is the worst month of the year, why? because its cold, we are just getting over Christmas and Spring and Summer is still a long way off. It’s common for people to feel more down at this time of year, the long dark evenings and waking up to dark mornings, we all need to remember to do things to keep us happy and content.
I believe feeling happy and cosy in our own homes can really help this. We all look forward to getting home after a long day’s work and getting settled in our homes, maybe lighting some candles or cooking a nice meal, so here are my top tips to beat the winter blues!
- Get some fresh air – make the time to get outside each day and breath in the fresh air, even if we work indoors all day just taking 10 minutes out will really boost our mood.
- Fresh flowers – a quick and easy way to brighten up our homes is to buy a bunch of your favourite fresh flowers, guaranteed to brighten up any room in the house.
- Make some plans – January for me is my time of the year to make a list of all the things I want to do during the year, whether its planning a summer holiday, days out or meeting up with friends it gives us something to look forward to.
- Have a bath – sounds really simple but taking some time for yourself, having a long soak and using your favourite products helps to relax us.
- Get cosy – this time of year we all crave being cosy, so if you have a fire get it lit, get the candles on and snuggle up with a hot drink or your favourite tipple, the perfect way to forget everything that is going on the outside world.
- Change things up – the new year always makes us think of new starts, resolutions, how about changing one of the rooms in your house? Re-paint a room, go for a completely different colour and theme, or just change some of your accessories, this can also make a huge difference to a room’s look.
- Treat yourself – now this doesn’t mean spending a lot of money on yourself, maybe your weakness is clothes or something for the home. It’s always nice to treat ourselves to something small to give us that little lift.
- Visit your happy place – whether it’s a walk along the beach, in the woods or just popping to your local cafe with a friend for a coffee and a catch-up, getting out and about for a change of scenery will always do you the world of good.
- Sing! – now I’m not saying go and sing in the street or perform in a local bar, but sing in the comfort of your own home. Sing in the shower or while your doing the housework, get that upbeat music blaring and sing your heart out!
- Give thanks – this is a really easy one to do, get some pieces of paper or a notebook and write down all the good things that have happened that day or week, it will help you focus on all the many positive things that happen to us all the time.
So these are just some of the things you can do to help you beat those January blues, give them a try and I’d love to know if you have any good suggestions.
Mint and Molly xx